Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"So... how come you're not from Utah?"

I am not from Utah because I am from Japan and Germany! I am not a U.S. Citizen, I am here on a visa!

Being Mormon automatically makes people think about Utah. What's interesting is that all my friends from Utah actually aren't Mormon at all. Since people believe that Mormonism is a cult or sect it follows that they still believe Mormonism is primarily an American faith. Here are a few interesting facts:
-The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has approximately 3 million members in over 150 different countries.
-The majority of member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are NOT U.S. citizens. (Yes, it's true!)
.... and I am one of them!

I have seen the Church referred to as an American faith just because it was founded in the United States but nothing about the faith is exclusive to Americans. The doctrine preaches the same things that was preached even in the Old Testament, namely, that we are all divine children of God, and that we are all brothers and sisters and should treat each other as such (and of course to believe in the Saviour, but as the purpose of this blog is not to proselytize I am keeping doctrinal references to a minimum.)

I think people would feel differently about the Church if they saw the huge impact it has made in other countries. I attend a Japanese ward (our name for congregation, or church) during summers and winters and the people there are absolutely phenomenal. Imagine what it took for a completely non-theistic Japanese person to adopt beliefs and principles as those of our Church? To stand up for these beliefs in a country where few are Christian, and few are active religious practitioners? They do service projects, they help each other out... they still attend their office parties but do not drink alcohol... :-) All those little details! It is major! If you need to know anything about Japan to impress you about Japanese Mormons, it is that you absolutely HAVE TO DRINK to network in businesses. That's all people do. When my father joined a new company he was out every single night after work having drinks with his employees... that's just the way it works. Now imagine a middle-aged man trying to get to know his employees without the nectar of comfort. It's so much more difficult!

Anyways. I have seen the Church in Japan and Germany, and in both places people sacrificed significant social capital to become members... and they are some of the strongest members I have ever seen!

I think I completely digressed from the topic at hand... suffice it to say that Mormons are not all from Utah, and not all from America. *Sigh* that feels good. One more stereotype dismantled.

No comments: