Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"Don't you have to go on your mission?"


One of the most trademark things about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are our missionaries. We all know them: white shirts, neckties, riding bikes with bike helmets. Many studenty choose to dress up as Mormon Missionaries for Halloween... which I personally don't understand. I don't find missionaries scary at all, in fact, since they happen to be 18 year old boys (generally) they are usually more scared of us. I also don't find the missionary getup particularly unusual, considering they are wearing suits.... but something about them obviously warrants Halloween copycats.

I am proud that the Church has become associated with our missionaries, and my logic is as follows. I know when I find a particularly good buy, or I fall in love with a new product, I just want to share it with everyone! (For example, I use BareEscentuals makeup, it's a pure mineral powder and it is much more sheer and natural than the liquid foundations most people use. I am a huge fan, and now many of my friends are using it too because I raved about it so much. http://www.bareescentuals.com/ :-)

I think our missionaries reflect the same idea. We have something amazing, something that makes us happy and we want to share it... we want to let other people know! Contrary to popular belief, Mormon missionaries don't force the Gospel on anyone. They knock on doors, and they don't force their way into any houses. If they are invited in, then fantastic! If a door gets slammed in their face, then they leave.

Let me just explain something about Mormon Missionaries. Young men are generally expected to go on their mission after they turn 18, and go on a 2 year mission. Young women can go after they are 21, and their missions last 1.5 years. However, young people choose to go on a mission. Nobody is forced. And you can go home whenever you want to.

I think it's awesome we have missionaries, I absolutely LOVE missionaries. For me it sends a powerful message about what we have in the Church, if young people choose to leave normal life for up to 2 years to share it with others... then there must be something to it!!! :-D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, what does make-up have to do with anything? ;)

Anonymous said...

Well said.