Monday, February 4, 2008

"All I know is that Mormons have like 10 kids..."

Hahhha. I love this one.

This one always makes me smile. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints continue to be mistaken with the Amish, and I am thankful that no-one was surprised that I use technology and don't wear a bonnet.

I am sure that Mormon families with 10 children exist (actually, a mentor of mine is actually a mother of 10-- go figure!) However, having many children is not a trend of members of the church, neither is it a requirement.

I think that the reason that this stereotype may have emerged is because Church doctrine on the family has been so well publicized. One of our basic beliefs is that families can be together forever. Not until "death do us part" but here in this life and after we pass away-- for eternity. Perhaps because we believe in eternal families, it goes without saying that we want huge families as well? I have no idea.

It is also possible that Mormons love having many children because they have successful marriages, and a lot of support from each other. Or perhaps Mormon families have enjoyed a lot of success in their careers and therefore are able to support larger families.

Let us get back to the point, though. If all you know is that, "Mormons have like 10 kids", then we need to do some more reading don't we? Let's sit down and have some frozen yogurt and talk about life... and then maybe we'll move back to what I might copyright as the Mormon Bomb. Then I will tell you that I personally would love to have more than 1 child but have no ambition for 10. Then perhaps I could dispel just one more stereotype.

No comments: