Monday, January 28, 2008

Passing of our Beloved Prophet

Gordon B. Hinckley possessed all the qualities of a regular decent, honorable man. He was not outstandingly eloquent, he wasn't particularly handsome, he wasn't wealthy, he wasn't well connected. He spoke simply and was incredibly humble. Yet, he was the Prophet, Seer and Revelator of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 11 years, and before that he was a General Authority, and then an Apostle for a long time. His service to the Church has lasted his entire life, since the time he served a two year mission in England during the Great Depression.

I thoroughly enjoy this quote, "A prison guard has authority, but he or she is not a leader. A leader doesn't need a gun to motivate individuals" by Coach John Wooden. As I reflect on dear President Hinckley's life I can only remain in awe of how remarkable his leadership was. He lead by example, his example being loving and speaking truth, emulating our ultimate example, the Savior. He did not coerce, dominate, suppress, or compromise values. He was consistent and gentle.

True leaders motivate because of simply who they are. And everyone who has been blessed enough to cross paths with Prophet Gordon B Hinckley can only praise his loving way and his personal and charismatic nature. He genuinely cares, how many leaders do we know today that genuinely care about our well being? Who else gets on their knees to pray on behalf of all of us, for our wellbeing... and not just members of the Church, He was a Prophet to the world, and he never forgot that. He was dedicated every single day to listening, healing, and helping.

Since I only converted 2 years ago, He was the only Prophet I have known. I feel a sense of loss I wouldn't have expected, considering I didn't know him personally. But I feel like it happens sometimes, in life, you get a feeling about a person through the media, and you hear stories... and you just know a person is good. I remember how distraught my mother was when Princess Diana died, the whole world mourned her... oh, and Mother Theresa. My feelings of loss are comparable to those sad occaisions.

Good people are few and far between, and Prophet Gordon B Hinckley was an excellent leader who will be sorely missed.

No comments: